Sunday, July 1, 2012

TMI, CRAP, and what the Lord showed me

I thought clothes week was over. Really, it should have been appearance week. Make-up, jewelry, clothes..But I thought it was over.

My husband kissed a sleepy me bye this morning; he left early to set up the sound booth and perform sound check at our church (which meets in a movie theater and is a loving, come-as-you-are kind of place), and I dozed back off.

Phone rings.

CRAP.

It is a young lady I invited to church. She and her husband are there. Where should they meet me?

CRAAP.

I'm running a few minutes late. I'll be there in 15 minutes.

Quick call to the husband. Please find them and make them feel welcome.

CRAAP. Why did I fall back asleep? Why didn't I get there early?

Shortest shower in history. No time to shave my legs. CRAAAP.

My toenails have only the remnants of a teenage mutant ninja turtle green pedicure baby girl gave me 4 weeks ago!

No time to wash hair.

Dry off. Throw on a dress. There is a spot from our father's day (I wore this two weeks ago!!!) Mexican fiesta that didn't come out in the wash.

A little hair spray, a few strategically placed bobby pins, the stained dress, my husband's flip flops (don't ask. they are only a size too big and were the ones by the door), torn-up pedicure, and I'm out the door.

CRAAAP. 10 AM and 95 degrees in the car. A quick trip down the road, a check in the mirror. Eyebrows (and lip) in need of a waxing. Dark circles under the eyes. Hair a little wanky.

I'm only 10 minutes late. Hug my co-worker, squeeze my husband's shoulder.

I made it!

But the guest of honor was already there. He had been there long before.

He didn't need my legs to be shaven, my toes to be painted, my eyebrows waxed, my face painted. He didn't need me to show up at all. I had done my part, a passing invitation to a hurting heart. I had been in scrubs when I had done that, sweaty from 104 degree temperatures looking for something in an outdoor supply shed.

How vain, how arrogant to think that anyone came to this little theater to see me. Or short of arriving naked, would notice my appearance at all.

Lord, let them not see me, ever. Lord, let it be all about you.

If you think of me this week, pray that I am reminded that God looks on the inside. That my goal is not a pleasing appearance to others, but a pleasing heart to Him that made all parts of me.







8 comments:

  1. Totally love this girl! So thankful you invited. So thankful that despite the crap you hopped on out and over to welcome your friend. Oh my, I'm being reminded today that Jesus us needs us inviting His folks to church to come meet Him. Yeah you. Clothes week wrecked me. I was found in a puddle of pride on the last day - not a proud moment.

    http://positivelyalene.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement! It is amazing what I learned when I thought that experience was over!

      Delete
  2. What a great reminder of what, or rather, WHO matters. We put so much into our outward appearance sometimes and forget that that isn't what matters at all. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! There is only One who matters. May I never forget that.

      Delete
  3. Very great reminder! I always ask my husband when we are about to leave for church "does this look ok?" in reference to my outfit. Like it matters how I look. God wouldn't care if I showed up to church in a t-shirt! Who am I aiming to please? Man, I need some help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not the only one! I ask my husband and my daughter...9 year olds are all about honesty!

      Delete
  4. I don't know why I am just now reading this, but wow! SUCH a truth . . . that we are often concerned with ourselves more than what we say about Him. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little awe-struck! I have been a follower of your blog for monoths and just yelled across the apartment to my husband, "The poorganic woman commented on my post!"

    When I thought that in church last Sunday, I felt embarassed, ashamed, and humbled all at the same time. It is amazing what the Lord will teach me, if I listen for it.

    ReplyDelete