Monday, July 9, 2012

An Ode to Johnny Paycheck


"Take this job and shove it....I ain't working here no more."*

I grew up listening to classic country....this song was old 30 years ago, and it has been playing in my head all day.

Though I hope my resignation was more professional and demonstrated a little couth....the end result is the same. In roughly 45 days, I won't work there anymore.

I have prayed about it, talked about, cried on my husband's chest...unsure what in the world to do.

I knew I was unhappy. Hubs knew I was unhappy.

But I was worried. We would be cutting our income by exactly 50%. I have always worked had a career, which made me feel important. I helped people. I was in charge of people. I made good money.

And I was tired. Tired of phone calls, budgets, complaints. I craved my home and my family.

But we NEEDED my income. (Why is it always about money?)

So it was 2:30 on the morning of my 36th birthday. My husband sound asleep, baby girl off visiting grandparents. And I lay awake, asking the Lord what He wanted me to do.

Though I believe in the burning bush and am fully convinced the Lord could call me via my Android device if He so chose, I was stunned when he answered my question.

That food pantry you can't find, the one, you want to volunteer in. START YOUR OWN.

So, I e-mailed my husband (yes, we do actually talk, out loud and face-to-face, but it was almost 3 am at this point), outlined the whole idea, got up, got dressed and went to work early.

Because my husband is the best, he brought me a birthday breakfast to my office.

The card he gave me read,

"I would be happy to serve with you and the food pantry in any way."

So today was it.

Take this job....or rather "It is with mixed emotion that I must tender my resignation..."

Either way. (Pray for me. Pray for us.) I am almost unemployed!


*Johnny Paycheck. "Take this Job and Shove It"



6 comments:

  1. So excited for you! I just resigned from teaching in June for similar reasons. It is amazing the things that are falling into place now, when before I was so worried about quitting. God has a plan for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Can't wait to hear how God continues to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Walk with the Lord and he speaks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Wow! Amazing. If you are needing a little bit more encouragement on that burning bush story, I spoke about just that at a women's retreat this spring. Here 'tis. http://www.thepoorganiclife.com/about/i-speak/courageous-joy-as-i-bow
    It sounds to me like you are using your gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! That is awesome! My job is definitely something I'm praying about, and have been for years. So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for everyone's support!! I will keep you all posted.

    ReplyDelete